SapphireSteel Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2017, 02:07:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the SapphireSteel forum - for discussion of the Sapphire and Amethyst IDEs
4074 Posts in 848 Topics by 708 Members
Latest Member: dcham_inbsys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SapphireSteel Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  Amethyst
| | |-+  TFS 2012 - Local Workspace
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: TFS 2012 - Local Workspace  (Read 17804 times)
digxstudios

« on: August 07, 2013, 08:08:18 AM »

It would seem to me that Amethyst doesn't know about TFS 2012 Local Workspace mode and always try to use Server mode.

The project, as a flash IDE project is already under source control, only the new Solution File and Project files are new.

Every time I try to add the project to source control, Amethyst goes on a rampage of checking files out to me, but Local Workspace doesn't require files to be checked out. Then I have to Undo all those checkouts. If I stop it and restart the app, its complaining about wrong bindings and ask me if I want to rebind or not bind and fix manually. When I get to source control binding, again it goes on a rampage to check out files.

I don't recall seeing any options to work in Local Workspace mode, but maybe I just don't know where to look.

btw, I may say things in a weird way sometimes because I am French Canadian native and English is my 2nd language, so if something seems unclear, don't hesitate to ask me clarifications.
Dermot
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 11:27:05 AM »

I don't think Amethyst needs to knows about Local Workspaces - but I could be wrong here and we might have to change something.

Amethyst uses standard APIs to ask if the project file (say) is under source control and is or is not checked out, so there maybe some Visual Studio settings under Tools | Options | Source Control that you can use to alter the default behavior.

However, we haven't used TFS 2012 yet - the last experience of upgrading from 2005 to 2010 in one go without going via TFS 2008 was so bad that we're still recovering. But, we will have to upgrade sometime soon so this is as good a time as any to do it - but it will take a little time and planning. It's not something we can do overnight.

We'll get back to you when we've done this and looked at what options are available.

Dermot

PS: No problem with your English, btw - everything is clear.
digxstudios

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 05:19:59 PM »

The nice thing about TFS 2012 is that they redone the whole thing and have a free 5 user version you could use to do tests.

It can be installed standalone on any workstation. Should be plenty to test TFS integration.

You don't need to migrate your current TFS, just put this one in parallel for testing purposes.
Dermot
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 09:55:21 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up on TFS Express 2012 - looks like just the thing for testing.

Also, looking at the code, it's quite easy to stop Amethyst querying TFS for permission to do something. We can put in a simple global property that you can turn on or off via the Tools | Options | Projects | Amethyst settings. We can do this quite quickly and I think that will solve your local workspace problem.

Dermot
Dermot
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 07:28:03 AM »

We've uploaded a new version with the TFS and IntelliSense exclusion modifications. You can get it from here:

http://www.sapphiresteel.com/downloads/amethyst_VS2012_2_0_3_1576.zip

http://www.sapphiresteel.com/downloads/amethyst_VS2010_2_0_3_1576.zip

If these are OK, we'll make this the standard release version.

Dermot
Dermot
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 06:49:09 AM »

We've fixed some problems with TFS2012 with a new version

http://www.sapphiresteel.com/downloads/amethyst_VS2012_2_0_3_1577.zip

http://www.sapphiresteel.com/downloads/amethyst_VS2010_2_0_3_1577.zip

Dermot
digxstudios

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 04:33:12 PM »

hi,

Sorry for the late response but I've been busy with releasing a new game server.

I'll try your latest version tonite and give you feedback.

Thank you very much for the updates.
digxstudios

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 02:17:20 AM »

I tested it,

There is a big improvement on TFS handling, its much faster.

One thing that I see happening with the TFS background thread and the Intellisense one too is that for every line that is sent to output, the mouse cursor is being switched to Busy and back to normal. When that happens for 742 files being checked out or when intellisense sees a load of error with the code, like if framework files are not found, it taking time away from working on the project.

Unfortunately my biggest issue is still present. Whenever the project file is reloaded, a high count of files are being checked out for edit. When I compare those files to Latest Version they are identical workspace version.

I'm seeing 742 files being checked out (not including project and solution file). From what I see, all the .as files are being checked out.

I believe those files should only be requested to be checked out when I actually modify them. At least, this is how its done in C# projects.

But that's going to be my last reporting since I have 1 day left for the trial license and will have to discontinue evaluation of this excellent tool that Amethyst is.
digxstudios

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 02:49:35 PM »

i'm actually thinking of having a license purchased,

Was really busy the last few weeks, did you guys continue to test and improve tfs integration ?
Dermot
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 12:59:04 PM »

Yes - we found the problem.

It took a bit of time because we were looking in the wrong place. It turned out that the problem wasn't with source control at all. What was happening was that the background parse thread that constructs the IntelliSense for the project was opening the files in *write* mode.

Which of course caused a silent checkout of all the files from source control!

We've nearly got a new version ready - should be Monday or Tuesday.

We can also let you have a 30 day extension to the trial if you want to try it out.

Dermot
digxstudios

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 08:24:40 AM »

Nice work on the latest version,

I see no more cursor when parsing is happening and files don't get checked-out if not modified.

I do see weird parsing issues but I probably need to figure out the right settings.

Will keep you posted on what I find. But I need to state that we are still going for player 10.3 and flex 3 as our minimum so that could explain it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: