SapphireSteel Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2017, 01:29:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the SapphireSteel forum - for discussion of the Sapphire and Amethyst IDEs
4074 Posts in 848 Topics by 708 Members
Latest Member: dcham_inbsys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SapphireSteel Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  Amethyst
| | |-+  Amethyst/swf project - deploy to Microsoft Surface?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Amethyst/swf project - deploy to Microsoft Surface?  (Read 4523 times)
Chipley

« on: July 23, 2013, 07:51:35 AM »

Hi,

I am new to the forum and about 15 minutes new to Amethyst Smiley I have been tasked with finding out the level of effort that it will take to convert a legacy Flash project(Flash Pro CS5) over to a Microsoft Surface table we have in our office. I started looking into this task yesterday and what I understand so far is that in order to get an app up and running on the Surface, you need to go through Visual Studio to compile the project, and that there is no other way(please feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

I am a seasoned Flash veteran, but have not used Visual Studio since 2009. The workflow for Amethyst/Flash that I understand so far, is that you can take a compiled swf, wire it up to Amethyst, and compile to the Amethyst Flash Player. The info I'm now looking for is:

1. Is there a way to port the Amethyst Flash Project over to Visual Studio and compile for the Surface?
or
2. Can I compile for the Surface directly from Amethyst?(because if so, that would be glorious)

Thanks for any info as I pick up speed on new "learnings" Cheesy

Cheers to the Amethyst community,
~Chipley

Chipley

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 11:28:44 AM »

Sorry for the newbie post, what I thought was the Amethyst paradigm isn't really at all what it is Tongue

So, I have installed Microsoft Visual Studio Shell(Isolated and Integrated), along with the Amethyst 30-day trial, everything is up and running and I've created a new Flash CS project.

My original code was created using the Flash CS5 IDE and is seperated by layers(all code is on frame 1)

My biggest question is:

Can you directly embed a swf in an Amethyst and compile the external swf to run at runtime?

or

Convert the fla code from a layered paradigm to the Amethyst convention?

or

Does the code have to be restructured and compiled using Amethyst?

Thanks, and sorry again for the newbie post Tongue
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 11:33:54 AM by Chipley » Logged
Huw Collingbourne
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 12:24:05 PM »

You may want to take a look at some of the tutorials - particularly those about sharing projects with Adobe's Flash IDE - here: http://www.sapphiresteel.com/Tutorials/Amethyst-Tutorials/article/amethyst-tutorials-index

Amethyst compiles 'normal' SWFs so there are no dependencies on the Amethyst system. Give the tutorials a go and, if you still have problems sharing projects and code or with compilation settings, post your questions here.

Best wishes
Huw
Dermot
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 04:15:21 PM »

Amethyst uses the Flash CS5 IDE as a compiler by running the CS5 automation model. So everything that is in a CS5 'project' should be available to be compiled. The big advantage of using Amethyst for a CS5 project is that you have access to a reasonable editor for the ActionScript code and you can also use a source control system, (Teamserver, Subversion, etc.).

The output of the CS5 'compiler' is always an SWF or a library (SWC).

If the ActionScript code is available in a .as file, then you can use Amethyst to edit it. You should be able to import a Flash CS5 project into Amethyst and then use Amethyst to drive the build.

Dermot
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: