SapphireSteel Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2017, 02:42:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the SapphireSteel forum - for discussion of the Sapphire and Amethyst IDEs
4074 Posts in 848 Topics by 708 Members
Latest Member: dcham_inbsys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SapphireSteel Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  Amethyst
| | |-+  Writing apps for iPads and android tablets
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Writing apps for iPads and android tablets  (Read 4215 times)
eriba

« on: June 10, 2013, 01:41:14 PM »

Hi,

My boss is pushing me to write apps for mobile devices, in particular iPads and android tablets.   I've been looking for a platform that will allow me to write once for both platforms.

For a while I had not given any consideration to flex/flash because as far as I could see this wouldn't work for the iPads.    I came accross Amethyst, and to my surprise you CAN develop for the iPads.   So I'm very confused about this now....

Could someone explain to me what is going on?  Huh

Best regards,
Edgard Riba
Huw Collingbourne
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 03:36:13 PM »

Between them, Apple and Adobe managed to introduce a lot of confusion about Flash on iPads. I believe Flash plugins are still 'banned' on iOS. However, Adobe packages its applications into the AIR runtime which runs natively on iOS and other platforms so that is how applications are deployed. You can find more info on the Adobe site: http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/air.html

Best wishes
Huw
eriba

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:50:59 PM »

Hi Huw,

Thanks for clarifying that! 

If I may, I would like to ask another question.   Is it possible to code a single application that will run on iPads and Android tablets?    I mean a single source code app, even if there is a need to compile twice?

Thanks again,
Edgard
Huw Collingbourne
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 03:20:42 AM »

In most cases you should be able to deploy the same source just by selecting the appropriate targets (setting various project properties). I can't guarantee that there may not be some cases when you may need to make changes - this could be due to any differences in Adobe's AIR runtime on different platforms. I'm not aware of any such differences but it's possible. I doubt if it would need to make any very significant changes though.

Best wishes
Huw
eriba

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 07:59:18 AM »

Thanks!

Edgard
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: