SapphireSteel Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2017, 02:09:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the SapphireSteel forum - for discussion of the Sapphire and Amethyst IDEs
4074 Posts in 848 Topics by 708 Members
Latest Member: dcham_inbsys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SapphireSteel Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  Amethyst
| | |-+  Debug Multiple SWFs simultaneously
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Debug Multiple SWFs simultaneously  (Read 4513 times)
Huw Collingbourne
Administrator

« on: July 23, 2010, 02:05:16 PM »

My latest tutorial gives a quick overview of debugging multiple SWFs across multiple projects using the Amethyst Cylon debugger's 'Listen and Attach' and 'Attach to process' features. If you have applications or web sites comprising several SWFs this feature is a must!  Smiley

http://www.sapphiresteel.com/blog/article/debugging-multiple-swfs
Jason King

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 10:49:54 AM »

Hi Huw,

I've watched the video, but whenever I bring up the Attach to Process dialog I don't see Cylon as option (just the standard Transport: Default and normal native processes).  What am I missing?

Thanks,
Jason
Huw Collingbourne
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 12:46:13 PM »

The Cylon option should appear only in the specific circumstances mentioned in the video. That is: You start Debug/Listen without Auto-attach enabled. Now attach to process should list Cylon. The Cylon debugger must be running before it is listed in the attach to process dialog (it starts running when you put it into Listen mode). Then you start the SWF(s) matching the project(s) in Amethyst (the one/s you want to debug) outside of Visual Studio (e.g. via Windows Explorer). It is normally easier to use Auto-attach, however.
Jason King

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 12:55:29 PM »

Hi Huw,

No matter what combination of Debug/Listen and Auto-attach (enabled/disabled) that I do (and I've tried every combination Smiley), the Cylon debugger simply does not show up.  Is there a log file I can send you or something?

Cheers,
Jason
Dermot
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 01:24:23 PM »

Hi Jason,

First, can you debug into a 'normal' SWF? (say a 'hello world' sort of thing with a simple button).  I've got this:

private function button1_click (event:flash.events.MouseEvent):void {

Alert.show("hello");
}
 and I set a breakpoint on the Alert. When I click the button, the breakpoint fires.

Now if I select Debug |Attach to Process I get the 'Attach to Process' page and from the Transport drop down, I see 'Smart Device, Remote, Cylon and Default.

Do you see this?

Dermot
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:27:42 PM by Dermot » Logged
Jason King

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 01:39:59 PM »

Hi Dermot,

When I enter the breakpoint and then look at the Attach to Process, I only see Default... no Smart Device, Remote, etc.  I'm using Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition.

Cheers,
Jason
Dermot
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 01:51:19 PM »

HI Jason,

It looks like remote debugging isn't enabled or installed in your Visual Studio - you've got a 64 bit version?

Try this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957912

Dermot
Jason King

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 04:38:56 PM »

Hi Dermot,

Contrary to what the KB article states, the link within the article sends you to a page that allows you to update the remote debugger app (needed on systems you intend to remote debug on).  I'm having a problem with Visual Studio so it did not make a change.  I'm attempting to uninstall/reinstall Visual Studio as I'm currently unable to do any remote debugging from within Visual Studio.

Update... Completely reinstalled and still have the same problem.  I have a tech support call into Microsoft to confirm that Remote Debugging can be done with VS 2008 standard.  Have you guys tested Cylon with VS 2008 SE?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 06:50:34 PM by Jason King » Logged
Dermot
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 07:34:47 AM »

Jason,

I've just tested Amethyst on VS2008 Professional in Windows 7 x64 and the Transport is visible there, so I don't think it's a 64 bit issue.

It might be that this particular feature isn't available in VS2008 SE (a link http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vsdebug/thread/10998dea-77e0-4787-910a-e1eb3c784863/ seems to indicate that it isn't but I've seen others that say it is).

I'm building up a clean Virtual Machine with VS2008SE on it so I'll test it there and see what happens. It will take me a few hours to do this so it might be tomorrow before I can test it.

Dermot
Dermot
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 10:58:55 AM »

Jason,

looks like remote debugging not included in VS 2008 SE. I've just installed VS 2008 SE and I can't see the Remote or Cylon transports, either.

Dermot
Jason King

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 02:46:50 PM »

Standard edition not having remote debugging was officially confirmed by Microsoft - yep, it took 2 weeks to get them to confirm.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 11:59:17 AM by Jason King » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: