SapphireSteel Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2017, 11:30:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the SapphireSteel forum - for discussion of the Sapphire and Amethyst IDEs
4074 Posts in 848 Topics by 708 Members
Latest Member: dcham_inbsys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SapphireSteel Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  Amethyst
| | |-+  RC1 Bugs/Issues thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: RC1 Bugs/Issues thread  (Read 13282 times)
Luth

« on: July 30, 2010, 02:12:57 PM »

There's bound to be one eventually; guess I'm lucky enough to start it.

1) Actually noticed after the 933 build (I think), but hitting F12 on a function doesn't take me to the function definition.  Maybe it's not a bug and I just missed a post explaining how to get this to resume working; it's not the first time functionality has disappeared for me alone.  Smiley  I'm special like that.  Last time is was extraneous Registry entries; any thoughts this time?

2) With "Auto-complete on }" enabled, typing the following:
Code:
{return 5;}
it is formatted (based on my personal settings, which differ by user, of course) to:
Code:
{return 5; }
The only "mistaken" part is the lack of a space after the '{' character, and the inclusion of the space before the '}'.  They should be consistent, and if I'm allowed a vote, I would prefer a space, rather than none.
Huw Collingbourne
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 02:34:49 PM »

F12 works for me (though until you mentioned it I hadn't realised that F12 was the keyboard shortcut as I have always used the context menu  Wink ). Is your code syntactically correct at this point? (Errors can cause problems for IntelliSense functionality). If so, does this problem always occur even in a simple one-file project or does it occur only in specific circumstances (maybe across many files and packages. for example?). Can you verify that it also fails to work if you right-click and select 'Go To Definition' from the menu?

As for the formatting thing, that's Dermot's responsibility so I'll pass that one over to him...
Luth

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 07:13:12 PM »

I came to post that I have had F12 work for me only once, just now, in the past two weeks.  Maybe it's the age-old problem of where something doesn't work until you try to show somebody.  Smiley  But to answer your questions, Huw:

Is your code syntactically correct at this point?
Yes.  It fails even on my compiling, executing projects.
If so, does this problem always occur even in a simple one-file project or does it occur only in specific circumstances (maybe across many files and packages. for example?)
I haven't been paying specific attention to where it's _not_ working, as it hasn't worked at all in the past couple of weeks.  I had assumed (until now) that it just simply didn't work.  I have not tried any single-file projects, however I have tried in three of my small- to large-sized projects with it not working.  When trying to F12 to a function not in the solution, it always fails, but that's expected.  The instance that it is working right now is on static public function.  An instance that is not working right now is accessing a public function via a singleton.  (Maybe that's one level of indirection too far to follow?)  Another instance of not working is a standard public function.  I don't see any specific correlation that presents itself as the obvious answer.
Can you verify that it also fails to work if you right-click and select 'Go To Definition' from the menu?
Yes, it fails there as well.
Huw Collingbourne
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 07:32:47 AM »

We need some help locating this problem. We use Go To Definition all the time, across fairly big projects (e.g. the Amethyst Designer) and we've never seen this problem. I am inclined to think there may be something about your projects(s) which is causing this and we need to try to track it down. I'd be grateful if you could do a couple of tests:

1) Create a very simple project from scratch with just a variable or two and a function or two. Does Go To definition work?

2) In a project where it doesn't work, can you monitor the Errors pane (View/Error List). Are there any errors shown?

3) Does Find All References work?

Finally, if you could either tell us what we need to do to duplicate this problem or (best of all!) send us a small project in which the problem occurs that would help us a great deal.
Autodev

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 03:06:25 AM »

Sorry I may have posted this in the wrong area

It is a Bug?
01-08-2010
Project FlexStub2 Beta Expired!
About
Release Candidate 1
Trial - you have 50 days left
Outstanding
Buy now is not supported, more importantly I have no hint of the price to come for Professional, which would help me choose my dev platform!
Issues
I have mountains of code which read
import mx.etc.etc
Assuming I can work around issue 1, 'expired' , how do I reference the mx libraries,  and how do I import my libraries as a lump!
(I would prefer not to have to import each file!)
Finally
great product exactly what I was looking for.

John Clark
Autodev
Huw Collingbourne
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 03:41:42 AM »

Not sure about the beta expired message. Where did you see this? Are you sure this is an Amethyst message and is not coming from something else? As far as I know we don't produce a message like this...

The software should unlock in Professional mode for 60 days after which it changes to the Personal Edition if no licence is bought. As this is a release candidate the Buy Now links are active even though you still can't buy it!  Sad We plan to ship the final software before the end of August and will announce the price a week or two before it ships. If you need some indication of the price before that, please contact me privately.

To import libraries, add them as references. In the Solution Explorer, right-click the References node and select Add Reference. Browse to libraries. Mark off one or a selection. Click Add then OK.

We have a short video explaining some of the features of library support in Amethyst here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu_Va49DECs&hd=1

best wishes

Huw
Dermot
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 03:56:42 AM »

Importing libraries:

As Huw says, use the Add Reference dialog to do this. Note that you can select items then Add, then browse to a different location then Add some more and so on before you click OK. This lets you add a whole lot of libraries in one go.

There's also the standard Visual Studio templating system:

If you have a particular project type which you use over and over again, you can export the template and use that as a model (with all the libraries etc that you want) instead of the templates we provide as standard (Flex 3 project, Flex 4 library, etc).

For VS 2008 see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms185319%28v=VS.80%29.aspx and http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95677.

I think it's easier in VS2010 (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xkh1wxd8.aspx), but I've never done this.

Dermot
Autodev

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 04:11:20 AM »

background I looked at the product in late 2009(from memory) and installed the version / I uninstalled yesterday and re

installed the new version for appraisal.

Test

File New
Flex 4 Application

Name: FlexApplication2
All settings default

Build
From Error List
FlexApplication2 Unable to bind 's:Application'
FlexApplication2 Beta Expired
FlexApplication2 Compile failed. Exit code was 1

Properties
Selected sdk C:\Program Files\flex_sdk\
Contents of flex_sdk: flex_sdk_4.1.0.16076(renamed)

Test 2

File New
Flex 3 Application

Name: FlexApplication3
All settings default

Build
From Error List
FlexApplication3 Beta Expired
FlexApplication3 Compile failed. Exit code was 1

From your reply it hints that the problem may lie in a registry/cookie flag

Dermot
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 05:14:30 AM »

It sounds like the old one hasn't altogether gone ...

We did some substantial reworking of the project structure some months ago to allow for side by side (SxS) working for VS 2010 and VS2008. We renamed the products to 'Amethyst 2008' and 'Amethyst 2010' and I suspect that the touble is there somewhere.

The first thing to do is check in the Control panel for anything like 'Amethyst' and uninstall them all. Then rename the directory 'SapphireSteel Software' under program files to 'SapphireSteel Software old' (or something) and try the re-installation of Amethyst 2008 again.

If that doesn't work, we'll have to do some Registry surgery.

Dermot
Autodev

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 08:29:13 AM »

Uninstall, re install same issue!

And now to the registry!

Your advice would be welcomed
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 08:43:36 AM by Autodev » Logged
Dermot
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 11:11:56 AM »

I'll contact you via e-mail. It's likely to be a bit longwinded.

Dermot
Dermot
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 01:59:44 PM »

Luth ... on the '{return 5; }'

I dont get the extra space after the ';'  I get no spaces after the '{' and none before the '}' - but I suspect that there's a bug in there somewhere. However, the whole issue is bit more complicated. I've modelled the spacing after the C# options, but I've not implemented all the C# spacing options (there are 26 of them and there's just not enough time!). I've added a task to implement more spacing options in a future release. In particular, I'll add an option to add/remove spacing after '{' and several other parenthesis spacing options similar to C#.

UPDATE: reproduced this - I needed to have 'Leave statements on same line' set. I've made the spacing consistent (i.e. no space) until I can do the further spacing options.

Dermot
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:22:26 PM by Dermot » Logged
Luth

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 01:19:49 PM »

Luth ... on the '{return 5; }'

I dont get the extra space after the ';'  I get no spaces after the '{' and none before the '}' - but I suspect that there's a bug in there somewhere. However, the whole issue is bit more complicated. I've modelled the spacing after the C# options, but I've not implemented all the C# spacing options (there are 26 of them and there's just not enough time!). I've added a task to implement more spacing options in a future release. In particular, I'll add an option to add/remove spacing after '{' and several other parenthesis spacing options similar to C#.

UPDATE: reproduced this - I needed to have 'Leave statements on same line' set. I've made the spacing consistent (i.e. no space) until I can do the further spacing options.

Dermot

TA mate.

Huw: I'll try to run those tests for you, but I'm on vacation (yeah, I check here even on holiday...) so they may have to wait until I get back.  From memory, one instance that I remember never working was accessing a class via a singleton getter, eg:
Code:
public class Foo
{
  private static _instance:Foo;

public static function get instance():Foo { return _instance; }
  public function Foo() { _instance = this; }
  public function bar():void {}
}

Code:
Foo.instance.bar();

F12 on "bar" above would do nothing.  I have to assume, since I can't test, that this will work for a small two-file project as well.
Luth

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »

Tabs still break code

Here is a replicated section of code from one of my projects:
Code:
if( paramObj )
{
CONFIG::final
{
if( paramObj.hasOwnProperty( "defaultLanguage" ) )
lang = paramObj["defaultLanguage"];

var settings:Array;
if( paramObj.hasOwnProperty( "arcade_new" ) )
I had just typed CONFIG::FINAL and wanted to indent if( paramObj ... defaultLanguage"]; so I selected (and this is pretty critical; though it not need to be exactly this, there are selections that do not cause the bug to occur) the portion of text between the two tildes (~) below:
Code:
i~f( paramObj.hasOwnProperty( "defaultLanguage" ) )
~ lang = paramObj["defaultLanguage"];
and pushed TAB.  It appears to have activated a macro, as the result is this:
Code:
if( paramObj )
{
CONFIG::FINAL
{
if (true){
( paramObj.hasOwnProperty( "defaultLanguage" ) )
;
} lang = paramObj["defaultLanguage"];

The kicker is that if UNDO one step, then it returns to what it SHOULD have been, eg:
Code:
if( paramObj )
{
CONFIG::FINAL
{
if( paramObj.hasOwnProperty( "defaultLanguage" ) )
lang = paramObj["defaultLanguage"];

and two UNDO steps return to the original code pasted above.  This is a long-running bug, having experienced it with the first version of Amethyst I tried, and hopefully this will help you track it down.
Dermot
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 03:21:31 PM »

F12:

I've just tried this example and it works for me.

One test to try is to hover over 'bar'. If you get a tooltip then the IntelliSense system has resolved the token and goto should work. If no tooltip then the IntelliSense cant resolve it and F12 wont work.

Dermot
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: