SapphireSteel Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 03:25:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the SapphireSteel forum - for discussion of the Sapphire and Amethyst IDEs
4063 Posts in 844 Topics by 702 Members
Latest Member: chris
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SapphireSteel Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  Sapphire / Ruby In Steel
| | |-+  IronRuby - path's format is not supported.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: IronRuby - path's format is not supported.  (Read 3792 times)
mickdelaney

« on: June 13, 2009, 05:30:10 AM »

hi,

i'n trying to use RIS to execute scripts against the ironruby interpreter (ir.exe). i've changed my interpreter to point at ir but i get this error:
unknown: The given path's format is not supported. (System::NotSupportedException)
has anyone else seen/fixed this issue?

regards,
mick
Huw Collingbourne
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 05:53:49 AM »

Are you in fact creating IronRuby projects? That is, are you selecting IronRuby as the project type in the Developer edition or, if not, are you using our free IronRuby personal edition? IronRuby is not sufficiently similar to the standard Ruby interpreter merely to substitute it into a standard Ruby project so you will need to use one of the options mentioned above.

best wishes

Huw
mickdelaney

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 06:13:44 AM »

no, i'd installed the non ironruby version.
i'm installing now....

i'm not sure if this would work but have u seen this post: http://flanders.co.nz/2009/05/02/using-ironruby-with-rubymine/
mickdelaney

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 06:24:03 AM »

i've set my interpreter to C:\ironruby\Merlin\Main\Bin\debug\ir.exe but it keeps asking for C:\ironruby\Merlin\Main\Bin\debug\rbx.exe....

is it hardcoded?Huh
Huw Collingbourne
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 06:56:41 AM »

It's been a long time since we did any work on IronRuby support so it's quite possible that this may be an issue. Just to give you a bit of background... We always said that we wouldn't be updating our IronRuby support until after the release of IronRuby 1.0. Initially the IronRuby team were expecting to ship the finished product fairly rapidly. John Lam, for example, predicted in June 2007 that it be fully Rails-compatible (and, we sort of assumed, at version 1.0) in "under 18 months": http://www.iunknown.com/2007/06/ironruby_and_ru.html

We produced our IronRuby IDE in early 2008 in the expectaion that the final release of IronRuby would appear later that year. As the challenge to get to IronRuby 1.0 has clearly proven to be greater than was originally expected, we are still waiting for the final solid implementation to appear (I see IronRuby is currently at 0.5). Which explains why we haven't yet updated our IronRuby IDE.

In the meantime, I'll take a look to see if there is any simple fix from Ruby In Steel. As an interim measure might it not be possible to rename the IronRuby executable?

best wishes

Huw
Barry Carr

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 02:03:33 PM »

I've have just this minute ran into the same problem. I tried the simplest thing I thought would work, that is, rename ir.exe and ir.exe.config to rbx.exe and rbx.exe.config. It seems to work.

Cheers
Barry

Huw Collingbourne
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 02:11:25 PM »

Always nice to find a simple solution.  Grin

We'll look again at IronRuby after MS releases a solid version 1.x.

best wishes
Huw
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: